Step 3 – Administration
ELIGARD can be injected on the abdomen, upper buttocks, or another location with adequate amounts of subcutaneous tissue that hasn’t recently been used.
Avoid areas with excessive pigment, nodules, lesions, or hair.
- After selecting an injection site, cleanse the injection site area with an alcohol swab (not included with Eligard).
- Using the thumb and forefinger, grab and bunch the area of skin around the injection site. Using your dominant hand, insert the needle quickly at a 90° angle to the skin surface. The depth of penetration will depend on the amount and fullness of the subcutaneous tissue and the length of the needle.
- After the needle is inserted, release the skin and inject the drug using a slow, steady push and press down on the plunger until the syringe is empty. Please ensure that the full amount of the product in syringe B is injected before removing the needle.
- Withdraw the needle quickly at the same 90° angle used for insertion while maintaining pressure on the plunger. When injecting the solution, you may expect that you need to use more pressure compared to other injectable products, because the solution is relatively viscous.
- Immediately following the withdrawal of the needle, activate the safety shield using a finger or thumb or flat surface and push until it completely covers the needle tip and locks into place. You should hear an audible “click” when locked into position.
- Once the safety shield is locked, immediately dispose of the needle and syringe in an appropriate biohazard container.
Would you like a mixing & administration demo?
Send us an in-service (demo) request. We can meet in person or via the platform of your choice.